CHETHAMS SCHOOL OF MUSIC, MANCHESTER
Dating from the early C15th, Chethams originally served Manchester Cathedral as a college and home of priests and choristers. It is of national importance and building is listed at Grade I. It is now the largest specialist music school in the UK.
The Practice has been engaged at the school continuously since 1954. Projects by the current team include:
- Conversion of derelict office blocks and shop premises to form boarding houses and music practice rooms.
- Conversion of Listed training college building into boarding accommodation.
- Conversion of kitchen and dining room to gymnasium.
- New kitchen and dining room.
- Conversion of classroom block to boarding accommodation and at later date back to classroom block.
- Insertion of mezzanine floor in listed school room to form art department.
- Conversion of swimming pool into squash court.
- Construction of new classroom accommodation and boarding accommodation on top of our 1955 classroom block.
- External restoration of Listed Grade II* residential block.